Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Non-military POV dilemma

Just had a conversation with a guy I have known for a long time. He has never served in the Armed Forces, never been a policeman, never worked in public service.

He is a BushBot, but I would have thought he grew out of it by now.

I was wrong

First off, full disclosure.

I am a war veteran. I killed people. At short and long ranges. I don't have problems with that, most all of them would have gladly done the same to me.
I worked in federal law enforcement, and later for EMS in NYC.

I have seen plenty of violence, and it comes to visit me every now and again either in my actions or dreams.

Now, why on earth do people who have no professional experience with violence, violent people, subduing said people, or anything even remotely like that think they know how it is done?

Specifically, my friend commented that "if the Democrats had not taken all the guns from VT, the body count would have been lower."

Lower than his IQ?

Perhaps.

I did not know how to respond. I did not really want to get into it, having just gotten over a few nights of bad dreams specifically based on the VT events and some other things.

Anyone have any insight on this?

No comments: