Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day, Irony and Hypocrisy

This morning, on NPR, the last sentence in the news was "Wall Street is closed today in observance of the Labor Day holiday."

This struck me as at least ironic, and possibly even cruel, as it seemed to mostly a normal day for many working people, at least those in health care and such.

Of course capital has a long animosity towards labor which I have never really understood. The money they make off workers is huge, and time and time again it has been shown that happier workers make companies more money.

One of those things for the mystery of life files, I guess.

Here is another great article on the same subject, from a really good Canadian (of course) website.

Meanwhile, even though I had to work today, WNCW played some great music all day from Woody Guthrie, Phil Oakes, Peter, Paul and Mary, The Weavers and lots more... some of the lyrics still in my head... Man, I love that station. It makes driving around a pleasure.

Have you been to jail for justice?
Then you're a friend of mine.

You can't scare me,
I'm stickin to the union
Stickin to the union
Stickin to the union

and

Which side are you on boy?
Which side are you on?

No comments: